- Global Settings
- Personalize Chart Shortcut Menu
- Using From Another User or Instance of Sierra Chart
- Remove Holiday Sessions
- Adding Commissions
- ◀️Previous Module: @Download and Install Sierra Chart
- ▶️Next Module: @Charts Introduction
Sierra Chart users may want to run through various settings when getting setup. It’s impossible to cover everything in a shorter guide, so some common settings changes will be shown below.
Global Settings cover a majority key settings within Sierra Chart. It is critical when setting up Sierra Chart to run through most of the Global Settings.
By default, charts will use settings derived from Global Settings, but individual charts can use their own custom settings.
Official Sierra Chart Documentation
Global Settings Menu
Displays the General Tool Settings window which sets general tool settings and settings for the Chart Values tool. For more information, refer to the General Tool Settings and Chart Values tool sections on the Chart Drawing Tools page. This command displays the the Intraday File Update List window.
To open Global Settings:
- Title Bar: Global Settings
- Adjust settings
- Title Bar: Global Settings > General Settings
- Adjust as needed:
- General Tab: - Chart update interval (chart refresh time in milliseconds) - Instances to Run on Startup: 2. (1 for trigger, 1 for slower charts)
- GUI Tab (Outlined in the Charts guide)
- Log Tab: Never Automatically Open Message Log… > Yes
- Alerts tab: Choose default alert. Configure additional settings
Graphics Settings Global
Adjust the default appearance and sizing of all chart graphs. More on this HERE. There are 3 tabs:
- Colors and Widths tab
- Such as backgrounds, candlestick coloring, grids, etc
- Fonts tab
- Such as Chart Text font/size/color
- Other tab
- Raise or lower Candlestick Width as desired
Here a Global Round Turn Commission can be set, as well as a Global Trade Position Limit. Also, symbol specific settings can be adjusted on a per-symbol basis.
Time Zone Settings
More on timezones HERE. To change timezone:
- Title Bar > Global Settings > Time Zone Settings
- Choose Time Zone
Personalize Chart Shortcut Menu
When a user right clicks in a graph, a menu of different items appears. It’s helpful to modify this with more personalize items compared to the default layout.
To modify this menu:
- Global Settings > Customize Chart Shortcut Menu
- Select an Item
Using From Another User or Instance of Sierra Chart
It is possible to share configurations with other users. Simply copy files from the Sierra Chart file directory to another.
- Copy Sierra4.config to another instance or copy of Sierra Chart
Note: No personal data is stored in Sierra4.config or KeyboardShortcuts4.config
Remove Holiday Sessions
To remove holidays or any other specific day:
- Title Bar > Chart > Chart Settings > Chart Data menu
- Click [Set Dates To Exclude]
- Type a date: YYYY/MM/DD
Alternatively, remove entire days from the symbol settings:
- Title Bar > Global Settings > Symbol Settings
- Find and select the desired symbol (If using micro, do this for emini and micro)
- Scroll to bottom and hit Dates To Exclude From Chart
- Custom is selected
There are two ways to apply commissions:
- A fixed commission price for all products, or assigning values per symbol:
- Title Bar: Global Settings > Symbol Settings
- Use Global Round Turn Commission has a dollar value and the box is checked
Tip: Among the most important default settings to change is covered later in this handbook but linked HERE. Setting up how the chart navigates when clicking and dragging the chart and scroll wheel.
Back To Handbook Home
Please be aware that the information contained in this handbook is not intended to be and should not be taken as financial advice. The creator is not a financial advisor and the materials provided should not be relied upon in making any financial decisions. Any actions taken based on the information contained in this handbook are taken at the reader's own risk and the creator will not be held liable for any losses or damages resulting from such actions.
In addition, the creator is not a registered broker or financial advisor in the United States and the materials contained in this handbook do not constitute financial advice or a recommendation to buy or sell any financial instrument. The creator does not endorse or recommend any particular investment strategy and the reader should not rely on any information contained in this handbook as the basis for making any investment decisions.
Furthermore, past performance is not indicative of future results and the reader should be aware that trading futures, crypto, stocks, and NFTs carries a high degree of risk and the possibility of significant losses. The reader should carefully consider their financial situation and seek independent financial advice before making any investment decisions.
The creator of this handbook is not an expert and the materials contained within are provided for educational and entertainment purposes only. No material contained in this handbook suggests a specific method or strategy for investing or trading, and under no circumstances should anything contained in this handbook or any related materials be considered as financial advice.
Please also be aware that some pages within this handbook may contain affiliate links that pay the creator a small commission at no additional cost to the reader. The inclusion of these links does not constitute a recommendation or endorsement of the products or services being advertised and the reader should carefully evaluate the suitability of any product or service before making a purchase.
By accessing and using the materials contained in this handbook, the reader acknowledges and agrees to the terms of this disclaimer and releases the creator from any liability for financial losses or damages resulting from the reader's use of the materials contained within. It is possible to lose more than the value of a trading account. Nothing within this handbook is advice or a recommendation to the reader. Any damages or losses following changes the reader makes to Sierra Chart after reading material within this handbook the creator should not be held liable. This handbook is NOT created by Sierra Chart and is not an official handbook to Sierra Chart. Each purchase only grants the user associated with the email provided on checkout for lifetime access. Trading is risky.