Sierra Support - Read First
While Sierra Chart has an active support feed, for most problems there’s a good chance someone else has experienced and solved it. ALWAYS use google first and then search specifically within the support boards. Tips:
- Search like this on Google: Sierra Chart how to change session time [Sierra Chart + tags from question]
- I use the mouse scroll wheel and click on the first 5 results to open tabs in my browser
- Try at least 2-3 variations of search terms if struggling to find answer
Takeaway: Is what I need on Google or Sierra Support Boards already?
Posting in Support
Sierra Chart is a professional Trading platform for the financial markets. Supporting Manual, Automated and Simulated Trading.
Tips for getting posting in support board:
- Be polite. It’s not hard to be polite
- Before posting, look at the post and trim it down, cut out useless text
- Don’t ask a question that have been answered in other posts that are easy to find
- In some cases on the first post consider uploading a chartbook file or image (ensure as much detail is shown: timeframe, studies, etc)
- Don’t make a new post only saying Thank you, instead, hit the Thank You button
Troubleshoot Common Issues
Sometimes a particular study, chart, or spreadsheet may cause a user-error performance issue. First the user must know if this a chart, setting, data, or a study problem. Since there are too many combinations of possible issues to cover, here are some various techniques not in order to troubleshoot various issues:
- Have a default copy of Sierra Chart, on the latest version. Copy various studies and chartbook files then test them in the fresh installation version
- Google any errors, check the Logs that Sierra Chart offers
- Open a new chart, add the study(s) and see if things work on a new chart
- Restart Sierra
- Title Bar > Edit > Translate Symbols to Current Service
- Edit > Delete All Data and Download (Read documentation first)
- Check the “ms” of various studies in chartbooks, as too many overly demanding studies or a user error in setting up a study can lead to issues. The lower the “ms” the better. Chart Studies window shows:
- Check performance of charts during market hours, ensuring none have excessive draws per second or slow performance: Chart > Chart Settings > Performance menu
- Utilize the various logging capabilities of Sierra Chart, including some studies with a setting to enable detailed logging which can be helpful for troubleshooting
FAQ Official Sierra Chart Page:
Help/Frequently Asked Questions List - Sierra Chart
This page lists the descriptive titles to pages that contain answers to questions and issues you may have. If you are having a problem, then be sure to update to the Current version of Sierra Chart. To update, simply select on the Sierra Chart menu.
If all other avenues of troubleshooting have failed, Sierra Chart has a support ticket system.
- Submit support ticket with necessary support inquiry, screenshots if needed, and category.
- Sierra Chart support will respond to the ticket
- Open/Close ticket as necessary
Use of AI
New tools such as OpenAI can help with both technical and coding solutions. ChatGPT can offer answers for both technical questions and C++ coding solutions.
◀️Previous Module: Sierra Chart Master Resource Page
Back To Handbook Home
Please be aware that the information contained in this handbook is not intended to be and should not be taken as financial advice. The creator is not a financial advisor and the materials provided should not be relied upon in making any financial decisions. Any actions taken based on the information contained in this handbook are taken at the reader's own risk and the creator will not be held liable for any losses or damages resulting from such actions.
In addition, the creator is not a registered broker or financial advisor in the United States and the materials contained in this handbook do not constitute financial advice or a recommendation to buy or sell any financial instrument. The creator does not endorse or recommend any particular investment strategy and the reader should not rely on any information contained in this handbook as the basis for making any investment decisions.
Furthermore, past performance is not indicative of future results and the reader should be aware that trading futures, crypto, stocks, and NFTs carries a high degree of risk and the possibility of significant losses. The reader should carefully consider their financial situation and seek independent financial advice before making any investment decisions.
The creator of this handbook is not an expert and the materials contained within are provided for educational and entertainment purposes only. No material contained in this handbook suggests a specific method or strategy for investing or trading, and under no circumstances should anything contained in this handbook or any related materials be considered as financial advice.
Please also be aware that some pages within this handbook may contain affiliate links that pay the creator a small commission at no additional cost to the reader. The inclusion of these links does not constitute a recommendation or endorsement of the products or services being advertised and the reader should carefully evaluate the suitability of any product or service before making a purchase.
By accessing and using the materials contained in this handbook, the reader acknowledges and agrees to the terms of this disclaimer and releases the creator from any liability for financial losses or damages resulting from the reader's use of the materials contained within. It is possible to lose more than the value of a trading account. Nothing within this handbook is advice or a recommendation to the reader. Any damages or losses following changes the reader makes to Sierra Chart after reading material within this handbook the creator should not be held liable. This handbook is NOT created by Sierra Chart and is not an official handbook to Sierra Chart. Each purchase only grants the user associated with the email provided on checkout for lifetime access. Trading is risky.