Table of Contents:
- Setup a Linux Environment
- Install Wine
- Download and Install Sierra Chart in Ubuntu
- Alternative Options
- ◀️Previous Module: @Performance Guide
- ▶️Next Module: @Backtesting Introduction
Note: Must have Linux. It’s easy for Windows users to also use Linux, there are many tutorials for creating using Linux in a Virtual Machine.
Setup a Linux Environment
First, a Linux environment is needed. A virtual machine (VM) can be used. VMWare or Virtual Box both work.
OS: Ubuntu (64 bit)
- Download Ubuntu Desktop, this is an ISO file. Remember the location
- Download and install a VM such as Virtual Box
- Open VM Virtual Box
- Click New to create a Virtual Machine
- Name and Operating System:
- Name: For example: “Ubuntu”
- Machine Folder: Default, suggested to use a SSD not HDD drive
- Type: Linux
- Version: Ubuntu (64 bit)
- Memory size: 4000 mb or higher. Higher is better
- Hard Disk: Create a virtual hard disk now
- Click Create
In the window that pops up:
- File Size: Set as high as possible
- Hard disk file type: VDI
- Click Create
Back at the Virtual Box Manager:
- Click to select the newly created VM: UbuntuVM
- Click Start
- Select the recently downloaded Ubuntu ISO file
- Click Start
- Click Install Ubuntu
- Select desired language
- Choose settings for Updates and software
- Click Install Now
Wine is used to allow Sierra Chart to run within Ubuntu, or follow a Youtube tutorial.
- Open the command line
- Individually input the following lines:
sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386 sudo apt update
sudo mkdir -pm755 /etc/apt/keyrings sudo wget -O /etc/apt/keyrings/winehq-archive.key https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/winehq.key sudo wget -NP /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/ubuntu/dists/kinetic/winehq-kinetic.sources
sudo apt update sudo apt install --install-recommends winehq-stable wine --version
Download and Install Sierra Chart in Ubuntu
- Open a web browser from the Ubuntu operating system
- Visit the Downloads page on the Sierra Chart website
- Click Download Sierra Chart
- Locate the newly download Sierra Chart installer
- Right Click the Sierra file
- Open with Other Applicate
- Select Wine Windows Program Loader
The Sierra Chart install window should pop up
- Click Install
- Fill in Account Name and Password
- Use WSL within windows to use Linux from a windows machine
- Mac users can use common Parallels to run Windows programs
Back To Handbook Home
Please be aware that the information contained in this handbook is not intended to be and should not be taken as financial advice. The creator is not a financial advisor and the materials provided should not be relied upon in making any financial decisions. Any actions taken based on the information contained in this handbook are taken at the reader's own risk and the creator will not be held liable for any losses or damages resulting from such actions.
In addition, the creator is not a registered broker or financial advisor in the United States and the materials contained in this handbook do not constitute financial advice or a recommendation to buy or sell any financial instrument. The creator does not endorse or recommend any particular investment strategy and the reader should not rely on any information contained in this handbook as the basis for making any investment decisions.
Furthermore, past performance is not indicative of future results and the reader should be aware that trading futures, crypto, stocks, and NFTs carries a high degree of risk and the possibility of significant losses. The reader should carefully consider their financial situation and seek independent financial advice before making any investment decisions.
The creator of this handbook is not an expert and the materials contained within are provided for educational and entertainment purposes only. No material contained in this handbook suggests a specific method or strategy for investing or trading, and under no circumstances should anything contained in this handbook or any related materials be considered as financial advice.
Please also be aware that some pages within this handbook may contain affiliate links that pay the creator a small commission at no additional cost to the reader. The inclusion of these links does not constitute a recommendation or endorsement of the products or services being advertised and the reader should carefully evaluate the suitability of any product or service before making a purchase.
By accessing and using the materials contained in this handbook, the reader acknowledges and agrees to the terms of this disclaimer and releases the creator from any liability for financial losses or damages resulting from the reader's use of the materials contained within. It is possible to lose more than the value of a trading account. Nothing within this handbook is advice or a recommendation to the reader. Any damages or losses following changes the reader makes to Sierra Chart after reading material within this handbook the creator should not be held liable. This handbook is NOT created by Sierra Chart and is not an official handbook to Sierra Chart. Each purchase only grants the user associated with the email provided on checkout for lifetime access. Trading is risky.