- Prepare Charts and Studies
- Create Buy/Sell Signals
- Run The Backtest
- ◀️Previous Module: @Backtesting Introduction
- ▶️Next Module: @Export Bar and Study Data
Follow Along a Backtest Using Provided Chartbooks
Prepare a Chart, Create a Signal, then Run a Backtest
For additional information on Auto Trading signals CLICK HERE.
Backtesting Cheat Sheet:
- Prepare chart(s) for backtesting
- Formulas in the Buy K3/Sell M3 cells
- Disconnect data feed then run Autotrade Replay Backtest
- Title Bar: Trade > Auto Trading Enabled - Global
Prepare Charts and Studies
- Open the chart or charts to be backtested, ensure data on startup has finished downloading, and the desired studies have been applied (example: moving average 1 and moving average 2)
- Title Bar : Analysis > Studies > Spreadsheet System for Trading > Add
- If no backtest trading is desired, and user only wants to view or export signals, then use the Spreadsheet System/Alert study instead
- With the Spreadsheet study selected hit Settings from the Chart Studies window
- Configure Input Values as needed, and under Spreadsheet Name give the sheet any name. For an example of settings click the arrow below
- Close the Chart Studies window
Other settings within the Title Bar: Chart Settings window to consider changing:
- Data Limiting Tab
- Days to Load for Intraday Chart Type: [Desired days to backtest]
- Symbol Tab
- Continuous Contract: Continous Futures Contract - [User rollover of choice, volume or date based]
Create Buy/Sell Signals
This example creates a BUY when price is greater than EXAMPLE STUDY 1 and SELL when below EXAMPLE STUDY 2. When conditions of the AND formula occur, the value turns to TRUE (or 1).
Current Row: Row 3 is main row for formulas that automatically copy logic to cells below
Buy Column: Cell K3
Sell Column: Cell M3
EXAMPLE STUDY 1: As Cell AA3 of spreadsheet
EXAMPLE STUDY 2: As Cell AC3 of spreadsheet
Last : Last traded price of most recent row. ID0.SG4 = Cell E3 of spreadsheet
Spreadsheet: The Spreadsheet created from steps above for Alerts
Usually using 1 or more studies a signal is derived. To begin:
- Add any studies to be used for signals (Example: Moving Average 5, Moving Average 21)
- Open the recently created Spreadsheet from the above steps
In cell K3, click to edit cell and create a BUY signal:
In cell M3, click to edit the cell and create a SELL signal:
When either of these conditions are TRUE, the cell will return a 1. This triggers a buy or sell signal.
To back test simulated trades using these signals, proceed to the next step.
Run The Backtest
- Trading is UNLOCKED
- Configure the Trade Order Window. Stop loss and targets if desired. Attached orders are checked. More info on the Trade Window HERE
- DISCONNECT from the data feed (Title Bar: File > Disconnect)
After the steps above have been followed it’s time to run a backtest:
- Title Bar: Trade > AutoTrade System Replay Backtest
- Replay Window pops up, change the settings:
- Charts To Replay: All Charts in Chartbook
- Replay Mode: Accurate Trading System Back Test
- Speed: 100000
- Set Date to desired date and time
- Press Play
Results can be found:
- Title Bar: Trade > Trade Activity Log > Statistics menu
Note: For a full walkthrough of auto trading in Sierra Chart CLICK HERE
◀️Previous Module: Backtesting Introduction
▶️Next Module: Export Bar and Study Data
Back To Handbook Home
Please be aware that the information contained in this handbook is not intended to be and should not be taken as financial advice. The creator is not a financial advisor and the materials provided should not be relied upon in making any financial decisions. Any actions taken based on the information contained in this handbook are taken at the reader's own risk and the creator will not be held liable for any losses or damages resulting from such actions.
In addition, the creator is not a registered broker or financial advisor in the United States and the materials contained in this handbook do not constitute financial advice or a recommendation to buy or sell any financial instrument. The creator does not endorse or recommend any particular investment strategy and the reader should not rely on any information contained in this handbook as the basis for making any investment decisions.
Furthermore, past performance is not indicative of future results and the reader should be aware that trading futures, crypto, stocks, and NFTs carries a high degree of risk and the possibility of significant losses. The reader should carefully consider their financial situation and seek independent financial advice before making any investment decisions.
The creator of this handbook is not an expert and the materials contained within are provided for educational and entertainment purposes only. No material contained in this handbook suggests a specific method or strategy for investing or trading, and under no circumstances should anything contained in this handbook or any related materials be considered as financial advice.
Please also be aware that some pages within this handbook may contain affiliate links that pay the creator a small commission at no additional cost to the reader. The inclusion of these links does not constitute a recommendation or endorsement of the products or services being advertised and the reader should carefully evaluate the suitability of any product or service before making a purchase.
By accessing and using the materials contained in this handbook, the reader acknowledges and agrees to the terms of this disclaimer and releases the creator from any liability for financial losses or damages resulting from the reader's use of the materials contained within. It is possible to lose more than the value of a trading account. Nothing within this handbook is advice or a recommendation to the reader. Any damages or losses following changes the reader makes to Sierra Chart after reading material within this handbook the creator should not be held liable. This handbook is NOT created by Sierra Chart and is not an official handbook to Sierra Chart. Each purchase only grants the user associated with the email provided on checkout for lifetime access. Trading is risky.